Rotarians are business and professional leaders who take an active role in their communities while greatly enriching their personal and professional lives.
Rotary is a grassroots organisation, with most of its service efforts carried out at club level.
Rotary’s motto, Service Above Self, reflects the humanitarian spirit of more than 1.2 million Rotarians worldwide.
As a Rotarian you can actively recommend a project and a cause to support. Unlike many other humanitarian organisations, Rotary empowers the club and its individuals to start projects and awareness on local and international issues.
Rotary in non-religious and apolitical – on this basis it is an organisation that is readily accepted in countries that are often reticent to accept foreign aid. The most recent example of this is Burma where Rotary was able to deliver approx. 3000 Shelterboxes well before any other aid agencies were allowed access into the country.
Why Apply to join a Rotary Club
Membership in a Rotary club brings with it many opportunities, such as:
– Becoming connected to your community
– Working with other like minded business leaders and professionals to address community needs
– Participating in Rotary’s international humanitarian service efforts
– Establishing contact with an international network of professionals
– Developing leadership skills and assuming leadership positions
The club is the cornerstone of Rotary, where the most meaningful work is carried out. All effective Rotary clubs are responsible for four key elements:
- Sustaining or increasing their membership base
- Participating in local community and international projects
- Supporting the Rotary Foundation financially and through program participation.
- Developing leaders capable of serving Rotary beyond the club level.